Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Last Push...

Hello all. Sorry for the delay on this week's post. I hope that most of you are getting as excited for camp as we are. We've spent the past few weeks bouncing new ideas off of each other and tweaking some old ones, with goals of making this camp the best one yet.

As most of you know, we spend a lot of our first day at camp (Saturday) in prayer. We pray for the camp's staff, your fellow counselors, the deans, the volunteers, the weather and of course, the campers...both ones we know and don't know.
We think it's important that you, as staff, be prepared for what "baggage" the kids may bring to camp. And no, I'm not talking about their luggage.
Kids come to camp from every background, every walk of life and there are always a select few that come to camp seeking help more than others.
However, we have also been encouraging you, as counselors, to use this week at camp for yourselves. Yes, the kids are priority No. 1. But it's ok to be a little bit selfish during this week too. This is also a great time for a personal gut check. So, don't be afraid to take some time to yourself next week as well. This is also where a new member of our staff, Marco Salzar, will come in. We are very excited about what Marco is bringing to camp. You will learn more about Marco on Saturday :)

With all of that being said, I want to encourage each and every one of you to spend a little extra time in prayer this week. Focus on us, as a staff, for these next four days and pray for every aspect of camp that comes to mind. Then, on Saturday, after touching on a few of our own personal struggles, we can begin to focus on the kids who are coming to camp that next day.

I also want to encourage everyone to cut themselves off from life outside of Bay Shore next week. I'm not saying this to drive home Bay Shore's "no cell phones" rule, that rule is there for obvious reasons. I'm saying this because I think, in a time where we are SO dependent on having our phones by our side, every minute of every day, you will be surprised as to how refreshing it can be to go "off the grid" for a few days.

Below in the comments section, I'm asking that you post a few personal goals you have for camp next week. Whether it be for yourself, your cabin, a few kids, or us as a staff...share them. Also, if you'd like to throw out prayer requests or suggested prayer topics for these next few days leading up to camp, feel free.

2 comments:

  1. One thing that I have really fallen away from would definitely be prayer. I have had a lot of times in my life when I wish I had just given a certain situation to the Lord. I'm sure a lot of us can say we have done this one to many times. I have tried to keep myself in the word and see what the Lord tries to teach me, but as I reflect right now I think maybe I haven't really learned anything or heard Him in any teachings is because I'm not praying; I'm not letting Him into the learning or letting him know what I'm struggling with. I guess I have just thought, well God knows everything about me anyways so why do I really need to talk to him, but I can really see the difference in my life when I'm not letting Him in. Prayer is something I really want to get back into. And not just prayer but actually feeling His presence when I'm praying and when I'm in the Bible.

    I think another goal would be for us counselors to really live out the life we let our campers see. I know I am guilty of this too, but too many of us live two separate lives, the perfect life at Bay Shore, and then our lives outside of this Holy place where we feel safe. I really want to take something away from camp and live it out after. I want people at school to see I have changed and to ask what is different so I can share the Word and my experience. Too many times I see previous counselors on facebook using negative language and having negative pictures up. Personally I'm just a little fed up with this. And I don't know if I should be babbling on about this on here, on this blog, but it's something we ALL need to look into, even myself!

    Know that I have been praying for all of you counseling baseball/softball camp. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to counsel this year because of work but i was still praying that everyone, not just the campers, get something out of this years camp. I pray that we all have an amazing week at camp and I can't wait to get to know all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em! We all need a call out and your response connects back to even what Tyler posted last week--What sort of impact are we leaving on people? Does the way I live my life draw people closer to the Lord, or does it push them away? Am I living 2 separate lives...like you mentioned?

      This is a constant battle for God's people, and sadly it has become public knowledge with social networking. So what do we do...what does God's word say?

      Revelation 3:16 I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!

      Lukewarm water isn't very thirst quenching...it is disgusting, and that is exactly how God feels about us when we don't pick a side.
      "There is noting more disgusting than a half-hearted, in-name-only Christian who is self-sufficient. Don't settle for following God halfway. Let Christ fire up your faith and get you into action."

      Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.

      We need to surround ourselves with good people, people who will challenge us to stay on the right path. We need to keep each other accountable and call each other out in love.

      Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

      "set" -- striving to put heaven's priorities into daily practice, & concentrating on earthly rather than the temporary.

      Delete